Recycling Case Study – GM Vauxhall
Summary Of the project:
GM Vauxhall UK Ltd is a English automotive manufacturing and distribution company with 2 fully operational plants in the UK, employing in excess of 1800 people and with a capacity of 190,000 plus vehicle per annum.
In July 2015 GM Vauxhall UK Ltd commissioned Yield UK Ltd to assist with their recycling targets and to maximise revenues from their commodity waste streams.
Yield UK Ltd therefore undertook a waste / commodity audit in both UK manufacturing plants, Luton and Ellesmere Port, calculating the amount of dry recyclable materials that could be better segregated to improve financial benefits and reducing operational hours. This revealed the potential to increase financial benefits and improve Environmental benefits by following a course of positive action recommended by Yield UK Ltd.
Key Benefits of the Project:
• Establishing better segregation means, by which material contamination could be reduced to yield an increase in material value of 25%
• Revealing the significant financial benefits from producing cleaner commodities with less contamination, with increased recycling revenues.
• Delivering a comprehensive report detailing specific recommendations for achieving improved recycling revenues and environmental performance.
Actions of the Project:
• Assessing existing plant waste materials and levels of segregation
• Identifying existing barriers to recycling and detailing solutions to remove them.
• Undertaking a cost benefit analysis of commodity recovery and diversion levels
• Developing a bespoke commodity measurement report for group performance assessments in comparison with similar automotive manufacturers.